New Desk with Hutch


I stayed up late last night to set up my new desk with hutch! But it was well worth it! I love it! My husband’s desk was moved to the opposite wall as I needed that spot to accommodate the height of the new desk with hutch. And I had to move the bookshelf into the bedroom to accommodate my husband’s desk. I added some of my knickknacks to the hutch. I also managed to clean out some excess stuff in my bedroom and whatever is not being thrown away was added to the drawers in the desk. Nice and tidy and organized now! Very pleased with the outcome! 

The hutch itself required some repairs that were easy to manage. The entire top had come off, the spindle had broken off, and there was a little wooden brace that had come off as well. I put the entire top piece back onto the hutch, which turned out to be very easy to do, as the nail ends sticking out of the bottom of the top piece were still intact. The nails lined up perfectly with the old nail holes so I just needed push the top piece back on and the nails went into those holes perfectly! The wooden brace that braces the frame of the top section just needed to be glued back on as, as it only had been held in place with glue to begin with. I used wood glue for that. The decorative spindle had broken off so I filed the bottom of it down flat, as well as the surface it was being applied to, and used the wood glue to hold it in place. I had wiped down the entire unit with Murphy’s oil soap last week, as it was filthy from being in storage for over two years. We didn’t even want it in the house until it had been cleaned! The surfaces were still very dull-looking so I used Pledge for now to polish it up a bit, and cleaned the glass with Windex. It made a huge difference! At some point I’ll get out the Old English and that should make it look like new again to hide all of the minor blemishes from wear and tear throughout the years. 

Here it is! It’s in much better shape than my husband’s desk,  might add! 



My dog, Pemi posed for this photo! 




This skeleton key came with my desk! It also works for the locks in my husband’s desk, which he was lacking. 




My husband’s desk was moved to the opposite wall from where my desk with hutch now is. My desk would not have fit on this side with the hutch on it due to the pitch of the post and beam style we have. Plus, my desk is a few inches wider so it would have been a bit crowded here. His desk is basically the same style as mine with the same features, except slightly smaller and, as you can see, the wood is darker because it is made with mahogany. 




Perfect spot for the book shelf in our bedroom! 


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! I remember that desk so well! The inside has a whole lot more detail than I can recall! Nice job repairing and restoring it back to it's original state! How sweet of you for keeping the girls photos in such a special place! I need to get better about sending more pictures of them! We don't take them nearly as often now, but I'll do my absolute best to make an effort! Everything is neat as can be and looks so nice! I am sure it brings a smile to your face when you think back on the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TY!!! I’d love some new pics!! Ready for an update!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Too Much Rain!

Deck Work

Christmas Decorating in Progress!