Cleaning Day for the Hens!

Just cleaned the chicken run, dust bath, hen condo, chicken house, hen house, etc!

I also got some a couple of bags of sand and some diatomaceous earth and got rid of the old dust bath mix, and put in a brand new dust bath mix. Just all purpose sand mixed with diatomaceous earth, which helps prevent mites and lice and other infestations. 

After raking out the run area, I spread diatomaceous earth around and mixed it in with the sand. This too helps prevent infestations. They like to go in the dust bath rack to dust bath, and sometimes they prefer to dust bath in the sand in the run, too. So I went heavy with the diatomaceous earth in the areas that they tend to enjoy dust bathing in. I coated some frequently used surfaces with pure white food grade diatomaceous earth. That will kill mites and lice on those surfaces and when the hens step on these surfaces, including roosting bars, so they’ll end up with some of it on their feet as well. I also have a mite and lice spray for chickens that I sprayed into the hen condo, chicken house and hen house. 

You can also use it directly on the chickens, which I didn’t need to do. It’s all about prevention to avoid infestations in the first place. 

And I almost always put a little apple cider vinegar in their water. That will offer protection from the inside out. And I even like to put some food grade diatomaceous earth in to their feed. This stuff is great for regulating their GI tract as well. 

I also gave them some lettuce today as a treat, which they loved! They had fun with it too! Plus some dried meal worms, scratch and Hentastic oregano treats! I like to spoil them now and then! LOL! 

Just a few photos after cleaning! As you can see in one of the photos, the white PVC sheet used for the floor in the hen house looks sooooo clean!!! I pushed aside some of the shavings to get a photo.

 Chicken House

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Much Rain!

Deck Work

Christmas Decorating in Progress!