New WiFi Camera and New Hens!


I bought a WiFi camera that I temporarily placed in order to test it out before final installation. My WiFi is weak out there and it wouldn’t stay connected consistently. My coop is slightly over 100 feet from the house, and my WiFi router is as close as it can get to the coop, in my office along the back wall of the house, with the back wall of the house facing the coop. 

I had bought a WiFi extender but I just could not get it set up. The manual was terribly written, obviously translated from another language but lousy translation; and the writing and photos were so small that I couldn’t even see/read half of it, even with a magnifying glass! I tried for over an hour to get it set up, and just couldn’t figure it out! So I returned it. 

So, I chatted with a tech using my BestBuy app and found a solution to the issue; something that boosts the WiFi signal out there! I explained everything; the set up and my failed attempt with the very technical WiFi extender, and what I wanted to accomplish, and the tech recommended the following device. And it was available in my store for pick up! So the tech ordered it for store pickup, and then I entered my payment information! 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x4-ac2200-dual-band-wi-fi-range-extender-white/5113100.p?skuId=5113100

I did store pickup this morning and so far, it’s working great! AND it was soooo easy to set up using the free Nighthawk app, as per the manual! It was so fast too! I think I had it all set up within 15 minutes! And my cam has remained connected so far!! Working great! 

So, time will tell! Hoping it continues to be successful! But I was also able to test the WiFi out at the coop using the Nighthawk app and the WiFi is strong, with excellent speeds! I even went beyond/behind the coop and even there, the signal is still fair to good even there, with good to excellent speeds! Far better than I had expected! 

Tomorrow I plan to move the cam to its permanent location inside the hen condo so I can get a full view of all of the hens at night! That way I can check each evening that all of my gals are safely inside without having to run down to check! 

Just some videos from where the cam is temporarily mounted! I also need to figure out how to set the correct date and time on the camera! Hmm!! 

I also bought 4 more hens today! White leghorn pullets that just started laying! I love the leghorns! Excellent egg layers! Best out of any other hens I’ve ever had previously! They only weigh 3-4 pounds so they eat less feed. And despite their small size, they lay medium white eggs. They’re also pretty feisty and energetic! They don’t take any crap from other hens! In fact, they seem to be my most dominant hens! Their size certainly doesn’t impact their bossiness! LOL!! In fact, they will charge at me like a rooster if I pick up one of the other hens, even hens that are not leghorns! When I used to have ducks, even if I picked up a duck, they’d charge me! But at least it doesn’t hurt like a rooster! Thank goodness! I have been karate chopped by roosters before and that hurts, and leaves bruises! So fortunately my leghorn charging hens don’t hurt! But 90% of the time they’re quite friendly! There is one breed that’s the most friendly though! The red sexlinks have been the friendliest breed I’ve had! 

So right now I have 14 hens: 6 white leghorns (white eggs), 1 Easter egger (blue eggs), 2 Rhode Island Reds (light brown eggs), 1 bared rock (darker brown eggs), 2 true blues (blue eggs), and 2 of some other breed (?black sexlinks maybe, however they lay white eggs and not brown eggs). 

Anyway, you can see all 4 of the new white leghorns in these videos! My Easter egger is among them, the restless one, LOl!! She’s my comedian! She makes me laugh! 



UPDATE!! Finally figured out how to get the date and time corrected in the cam using the Zmodo cam app! Awesome! 


PS! I just love watching my gals on my WiFi cam and app! I have been watching them a lot this evening! So awesome that it’s now working great with the new WiFi extender!! Thank you to Best Buy technical help in the Best Buy app!! So glad I discovered this! I had done so much research to find a solution and they have me this solution within minutes! Awesome!!! 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Much Rain!

Deck Work

Christmas Decorating in Progress!