Concrete Pad Clean Up!


When we purchased our home, there was a concrete pad out back beyond the yard in the wooded area of our property. There were 8 steel posts sticking up from the pad. There were also a couple of piles of bricks: One pile of bricks that were whole and with no mortar stuck to them and another pile of bricks, mostly whole bricks with mortar all over them. Most were individual bricks but there were some that had anywhere from 2 to 5 bricks still stuck together. There were also some pieces of bricks that had been cut to a smaller size. There were lots of bricks! Of course, it’s nearly impossible to find a place to dispose of bricks, and even if there was, trying to get them all there would be a challenge. Doable but challenging. 

Last weekend my Hubby cut the steel posts off to eliminate them. I posted the bricks with photos on our town website for free a few days ago and today, someone came and took them all! GONE! Yay! Last week we also disposed of other items that were there with the bricks such as a wooden sawhorse that was rotting out, a short piece of 1” underground water line, short pieces of fencing, etc. 

Now the concrete pad looks so much better and we plan to place either a carport or small shed on it! The pad is 12 x 20 feet so it’s a good size for storing my Polaris and other items! 

There was also a mound dirt, infiltrated with multiple small roots and rocks along one side of the concrete pad that went around the corner to the front of the pad a few feet. It was higher than the pad so every time it rained, dirt would get washed out onto the pad and was just a mess! I broke down the entire mound, removing the roots and rocks along the way, and got the ground leveled out and below the level of the concrete pad. The rest of the pad was above ground level but unevenly so I scraped the ground in the higher areas down to make everything more even all around the concrete pad. 

Where the bricks were is still a bit dirty much much cleaner than it was after the bricks were removed. But I think once we get a few rain storms, that will help it become much cleaner and blend in with the rest of the pad. 

Here it is now! 




And here are some photos from before. I didn’t take photos right before we started to work on it for comparison. However I was able to locate one photo of part of the pad beforehand. There are photos taken during the removal of the steel poles. And I had photos of the bricks that I took to post to our yuan website to ask if anyone wanted them. Just sharing what I have available to provide an idea of what it looked like before! 





Comments

  1. Much improved! I wonder what they used it for? Perhaps for barbecuing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho Sis! We haven’t been able to figure it out either but wondering if it might have been used as a greenhouse years ago since it’s near the veggie garden? I don’t think we’ll ever know but it’s definitely something we can put to use! I think way back when the house was new, 1997, there weren’t so many trees in this area and I bet it was a lot sunnier there.
    Commenting from my phone so I couldn’t log in to comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Too Much Rain!

Deck Work

Christmas Decorating in Progress!