Spring is Finally Here!


After work today I hooked up the water supply to the chicken coop!! As my son would say, “SWEET!” 

It was actually my son who installed this for me a few years ago! He dug a shallow trench for the one-inch water line and ran the line through it and covered it back up. When he dug the tench he used a trench shovel and was able to preserve the sod and replace it when done! After he finished it you could not tell that any work had been done there! The replaced pieces of sod fit back perfectly and seamlessly! 

I can use it during warmer weather but in the winter months I have to shut it all down and blow the water out of the line, and go to carrying buckets of water down there. But, I typically can start using it sometime between mid March to mid April, depending on the weather. 

Our last frost was a couple of weeks ago so I really could have hooked it up shortly after that. The frost wasn’t a solid freeze and melted melted once the sun came up. But I waited to be sure that there would be no further deep freezes. I’ll use it from now to late fall. Usually around late October to mid November I have to shut it down again. It all depends on the weather pattern at the time. I have to watch the weather forecast closely so I can be sure to disconnect everything when a deep frost is headed our way. 

So I typically get a good seven months, sometimes as much as eight months, out of it! It sure beats carrying buckets of water down there year round, as I used to have to do prior to having this underground water system! It’s awesome! 

I also have another underground water system that goes to the  vegetable garden! It was in place when we bought the house. It’s half-inch line so the water pressure isn’t as good as the water pressure down at the chicken coop with the one-inch line. I was initially hesitant to have one-inch line to the chicken coop but my son insisted it would be much better! And he was so right! It certainly exceeded my expectations and wish I had one-inch line to the vegetable garden too! But, it works fine. As the saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” 

Well, here it is; all hooked up! 







And underground water system to my vegetable garden! I’m hoping to get my garden planted within the next couple of weeks! Can’t wait! Yummy! 


Comments

  1. How convenient! That's truly awesome! My chicken coop is a whole lot closer than yours is currently. We built the house directly alongside of it and it's much easier to get to now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s great it’s so close! I have to carry buckets of water down to it in the winter so when spring comes it’s so awesome to hook the water supply back up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Too Much Rain!

Deck Work

Christmas Decorating in Progress!